Recipe: Chicken and Spinach Queso Quesadillas
by Erin of 5 Dollar Dinners
I love quesadillas for so many reasons. They are not only delicious, but they are so versatile too. Their versatility stems from the various ways they are made and for the variety of ingredients that can be paired with the tortilla and the cheese. They can be grilled on the grill or the griddle, baked in a baking sheet or cooked in a skillet, or flattened and goo-ified in an electric quesadilla maker.
While quesadillas have a Mexican origin, I enjoy experimenting with other non-Mexican ingredients and flavors too. They can be made with bacon and eggs for a breakfast treat, or with chicken and spinach for a main meal or appetizer, or with grilled vegetables and fresh herbs for a savory summer treat. Plus, they can be dipped in salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole or sour cream.
I love using Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla Cheese for two reasons. For one, it melts so beautifully and glues the tortillas and the ingredients together. The other reason I will always use quesadilla cheese is the taste. The Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla Cheese is perfectly blended to give just the right boldness and flavor that every quesadilla deserves!
Got a single leftover chicken breast from a recent barbecue that you are not sure what to do with? Problem solved! Make these delicious Chicken and Spinach Queso Quesadillas – one of my favorite non-Mexican quesadillas!
Chicken & Spinach Quesadillas with Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla Cheese
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
1 grilled chicken breast ($.83)
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes ($.75)
2 handfuls baby spinach ($.50)
2 cups Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla Cheese ($1.50)
8 whole wheat tortillas ($1)
Sour cream for dipping ($.25)
1. Dice the grilled chicken breast and quarter the cherry or grape tomatoes.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss the diced chicken, quartered tomatoes, baby spinach and Wisconsin Queso Quesadilla Cheese.
3. Lay out a tortilla on a clean, flat surface and arrange the chicken, spinach and cheese mixture onto the tortilla.
4. Add another tortilla to the top of the quesadilla and heat it on a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until cheese has melted through.
5. Remove quesadilla from the griddle or skillet and cut with a pizza cutter. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm.
6. Serve Chicken and Spinach Queso Quesadillas with sour cream for dipping.